Pinehurst Resort plans Pub / Brewery for old Power Plant
Pinehurst Resort plans to convert Historic Power Plant into a Pub and Brewery
The Pinehurst Resort has recently received a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) from the Village of Pinehurst Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) to convert the historic Power Plant building, also known as the Steam Plant, located on Magnolia Road in the Village of Pinehurst into a Pub and Brewery. The 117 year old building, approximately half way between the Village downtown area and Municipal Hall and Arboretum has been unused and abandoned for over 35 years. Plans submitted include a 4,936 sq ft Pub and a 2,134 sq ft Brewery. The new facility will also include additions such as 968 sq ft of new covered terrace-outside dining, 276 sq ft of kitchen storage, and 1,136 sq ft of a new covered beer garden with an outside bar area.
No information on dates or timing of the construction or planned opening are available at this time. Following are details as submitted to the Historic Commission:
Artist renditions of the Pub / Brewery from Magnolia Road
Front of the Pub as seen from Power Plant Road and the Outdoor Beer Garden
Click on the appropriate links below to open the file -->
The site plan
Building views from all sides with description of plans for each section
History of the Pinehurst Power Plant
The Power Plant was built to provide electric power and steam heat for the Village. Underground steam pipes ran from the Power House throughout the Village heating both hotels and cottages. The generated electricity powered not only the hotels and early cottages but also the trolley line that ran throughout the Village and to Southern Pines. The trolley would meet through trains to bring guests to Pinehurst. Eventually the trolley line to Southern Pines was not necessary as trains could switch in Aberdeen and bring passengers directly to the Pinehurst Station located near the Carolina Hotel. The trolley lines continued to run throughout the Village until automobiles and buses took their place and the trolley lines were taken up and barn demolished. An ice house was added to a section of the power house at that time taking the place of the trolley barn. As electric utilities in North Carolina matured and the Village continued to grow the electric requirements of residents and the hotels were assumed by utilities and electric power generation at the Power House was unnecessary for that purpose. However, steam generation continued to heat the hotels well into the 1970s until Diamondhead modernized the hotel heating and Air Conditioning systems and eventually even steam generation at the Power House ceased. The fuel for power generation was coal. A rail line was built from the current Aberdeen and Western Carolina lines near Beulah Hill Road that went in front of the Golf Resort and continued into the Village on Spur Road ending at an elevated trestle next to the Power House. At that point trains would dump the coal from their hopper cars. There is still coal embedded in the ground scattered about where the large coal piles were located. The Concrete rail line trestle supports still stand on the property.
The first picture below show the building under constuction in 1900, note the trolly barn attached to the building, the two smaller smokestacks in the background belong to the first power plant (a wooden structure built in 1896 and torn down after the new building was complete).